An exciting opportunity has become available for a Consultant Psychiatrist to join our team at Cygnet Victoria House.
Cygnet Victoria House is a new 14 bed acute mental health inpatient service for men. The service provides a safe and stabilising environment for men who are experiencing an acute episode of mental illness and require an emergency admission.
This is a full-time position to support and lead the Multi-Disciplinary Team to provide clinical services to adults at Cygnet Victoria House in Darlington. Cygnet Victoria House is an acute hospital for up to 25 men and two responsible clinicians. The successful candidate will be responsible for a maximum of 13 patients. Cygnet Victoria House provides state-of-the-art facilities and a multi-disciplinary treatment programme designed to assist service users in their recovery.
The post holder will also have responsibility for auditing the medical services rendered at the hospitals and ensuring their good quality in accordance to GMC and other relevant professional guidelines. Moreover, the post holder will have responsibility for upholding the Company’s policies and procedures and protecting the Company’s interests as appropriate.
As a Consultant Psychiatrist you will ensure that:
- Cygnet Health Care values are upheld all the time
- High quality, safe, and evidence based holistic care is delivered to all patients
- Patient and staff safety is given paramount importance at all times
- Clinical standards practised in Cygnet Victoria House are in accordance with the best recognised general psychiatric practice incorporating the recovery model and the principle of least restrictive practice
- Delivery of clinical services is in the light of the standards set by Care Quality Commission (CQC), other regulatory and statutory organisations, and the contractual requirements of commissioning bodies
- Cygnet Health Care and staff within the organization are not brought into disrepute through failure to adhere to excellent behaviour and service delivery standards
- The performance of your Ward Doctors / Specialty Doctors / Associate Specialist Psychiatrists is continuously supervised, monitored and reviewed, and remains safe as part of our duty to patients, fellow professionals, and statutory bodies
- You will participate in the consultants on-call rota, second on call.
- You will provide a service to inpatients on 1 acute ward of up to 12 patients, as defined by agreed quality standards and service specifications, with responsibility for the diagnosis and treatment of psychiatric disorders, as well as risk assessment and risk management, using assessment instruments such as START, collaboratively with patients and carers, where appropriate
- You will ensure that comprehensive pre-admission paper review assessments for patients are carried out in order to have preliminary management plans in place for all patients with a view to ensuring other patients’ and staff safety.
- Subsequent multi-disciplinary post-admission face to face assessments are carried out on all patients admitted under your care. You will also ensure that comprehensive needs assessments on all patients are carried out with the help of the multi-disciplinary team as soon as feasible and convenient, paving the way for provision of individualised appropriate medical treatment including psychological, occupational therapy, and social care, based on their spiritual, faith related, gender, and ethnic needs.
- You will ensure that patients are fully conversant with their care plans and that the patients as well as their carers have been involved in the formulation of their care plans where appropriate using the My Shared Pathway (MSP), and an appropriate recovery instrument.
- You will lead the multi-disciplinary team reviews on all patients; maintain an agreed regularity of the review meetings; inform the Ward Manager, the MDT, the Medical Secretary, Medical Director, the Hospital Manager, and all other professionals and stakeholders if there is a change due to any reason, expected or unexpected. You will also ensure that you make appropriate arrangements to cover your absences from such meetings.
- You will ensure timely provision and submission of MDT reviews, CPA, MHRT and Hospital Managers Hearings reports, and Discharge Summaries.
- You are required to attend the CPA and Section 117 Aftercare meetings, or if unavailable, to arrange suitable cover.
- You are required to attend Mental Health Review Tribunal (MHRT) and Hospital Managers Hearings, or if unavailable, to arrange suitable cover.
- You will ensure that when you are the consultant on call, you are immediately contactable, support the duty doctor, the unit co-ordinator, and other ward staff in early and smooth decision making in relation to any new referrals made to the hospital for consideration of admission; are fit for duty, and reach the hospital within a reasonable time, in order to attend to the required duty.
- MRCPsych or equivalent qualification + Higher Psychiatric Training in General Adult Psychiatry
- Full Specialist Registration with GMC
- Section 12(2) approval
- Approved Clinician (AC) Status
- Evidence of effective working within a multi-disciplinary team
- Active involvement in clinical governance, quality improvement activities, and clinical audit.
- Experience of teaching and training
- Supervisory skills for Ward Doctors / Specialty Psychiatrists